*** Due to technical issues with the CanadaHelps site, this fundraiser has been extended and donations will be accepted until Sunday, May 15th. ***
THE GRAND PADDLE & HIKE! May 6-8, 2022
Silver Lake’s annual fundraiser is back and this year 10% of the proceeds will go towards MCC’s Ukraine Emergency Response (click here for more information on MCC’s response).
Many friends of Silver Lake are deeply impacted by the war in Ukraine, having been born there, fled from there, or connected to relatives still there. While it does not affect all friends of Silver Lake so closely, we recognize the deep personal connection that many in the community feel with a country now in such deep crisis. Thank you for thinking of Ukraine during these difficult times.
SLMC’s annual spring fundraiser will follow a similar format to last year. There will not be a mass paddle down the Grand this year, but teams can choose their own activity (walk/hike/bike/paddle) and participate when it suits best that weekend. There will also be a few group hikes planned in the KW region. We know the spirit and generosity of the Silver Lake community will keep shining!
How to Participate in the Grand Paddle & Hike:
- SET UP YOUR FUNDRAISING PAGE: Register and create your page by clicking here! Whether it’s just you or your whole family, create a “team name” that your supporters will recognize. Add a photo to personalize your page! TIP: If you are registering your family, use your Team Name for your Personal Page Name as well. (** Participants will receive a Paddle & Hike souvenir flag – one per team while supplies last! See pic below.)
- COLLECT DONATIONS ONLINE: Send the link for your fundraising page to family and friends and ask them to support you as you raise funds for Silver Lake. There are preset goals for the teams, but just do your very best with the fundraising. It’s amazing to see how generous people are when they know how special Silver Lake is to you!
- HIKE/WALK/RUN/PADDLE: On the weekend of May 6-8, get outside for some exercise and fresh air in your own neighbourhood or community. Or join other Silver Lakers at an informal group hike. Scroll down for locations.
- SHARE: Please take photos of yourself or family (with the souvenir flag!) participating in this fundraiser and send to email@example.com. Watch for team/participant photos to be posted on Facebook and Instagram!
Please also plan to join us for the SLMC Annual General Meeting which will take place on Zoom on Saturday, May 7 at 10am. Click here for meeting link.
Group Hike Locations and Times: Approximately 1 hour Hikes
- Kitchener (Iron Horse Trail) – Saturday, May 7 at 11am. (Meet in Rockway Mennonite Collegiate parking lot)
- Waterloo (GeoTime Loop, Columbia Forest) Saturday, May 7 at 11am. (Meet at parking lot off Sundew Dr.)
** If you want to organize a group hike/walk in your own area, just let us know and we will add it to this list!